I feel a bit irresponsible that I got on my soapbox about formaldehyde in hair treatments (earlier post) and didn’t actually offer any alternative options or suggestions. In the comments, Jennifer suggested using ingredients like olive oil, and she was correct! Below are links to a few natural recipes I found online. I’ll try them all over the next couple weeks and let you know how they work. Personally, I’m most intrigued by the Mayan Hair Mask…”mayan hair mask”…it just sounds exotic and sexy!
- Hair Care Recipes at the livestrong.com site, which, by the way, is a really interesting site about health, diet, and exercise.
- Recipe for Shiny Hair on Free Beauty Tips site
- Mayan Hair Mask also on Free Beauty Tips site. I’ll even give you the recipe here, because it’s cool and I want you to feel sexy too (if that’s possible with egg on your head…) Note: If you are allergic to egg, you shouldn’t use this topical treatment.
Mayan Hair Mask
Ancient Mayan Inca and Aztec women believed that avocados fed the skin from the inside and outside. Make sure you save the avocado pit, setting it in a place where it can dry out.
- Mix together: 1 ripe avocado, 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 small banana and 1 egg yolk.
- Gently massage on to hair and scalp and cover with a shower cap.
- Leave on 1 hour and rinse thoroughly with warm water. Shampoo as usual.
I’ll keep you posted on the results…